Exchange well-known folder hell

During an Exchange Server migration I have encountered an annoying problem. I have exported the mailboxes from an old Exchange 2003 server into PST files. After that, these files were imported into the newly created mailboxes of a new Exchange 2010 server. This process did not go absolutely smoothly, the following problem occurred:

The former figure presents what happens if the language of the new and exported mailbox are not identical (e.g. hu/HU => en/US), the latter shows how the mailbox look like if the the languages are identical (e.g. en/US => en/US).

owa2        owa1

I searched around the internet and I found out that this is a really common phenomenon and is said to be a bug. It seems that the well-known folders are referenced by their localized name instead of an invariant name in the PST files. Furthermore, if the folder already exists, the imported folder will be renamed (number is concatenated). Fortunately, I found a very impressive Powershell script on the Microsoft Technet forum that is meant to solve this issue.

After a bit examination and preparation the script worked flawlessly, it cleaned up the mess in the mailboxes nicely. I really appreciate the author‘s effort and generosity. I also worked on the script a bit too. I think it is much easier to use now.

First of all, the script is based on EWS 1.1, so you have to download and install it on the Exchange Server. (Update: It seems the EWS 1.1 link is dead, try EWS 1.2, it should work too)

Now, create a CSV file that describes the folder mappings:

folder,source
Inbox,"Beérkezett üzenetek"
Inbox,"Beérkezett üzenetek1"
Inbox,Inbox
Inbox,Inbox1
SentItems,"Elküldött üzenetek"
SentItems,"Elküldött üzenetek1"
SentItems,"Sent Items"
SentItems,"Sent Items1"
Notes,Feljegyzések
...

The first element of each row is the invariant name of a well-known folder (my sample file contains all of them), the second is a possible localized name that the script should look for.

In the following example, the script is going to be executed on my mailbox. First, import the Exchange Powershell snapin and the cleanup script.

Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Powershell.E2010
. ./Cleanup-Mailbox.ps1

Query the problematic mailboxes, in this case: mine.

$m = Get-Mailbox tom

The user that executes the script needs Full Access permission on the mailboxes.

$m | Add-MailboxPermission -User Admin -Accessright Fullaccess

Now, run the cleanup script on the mailboxes by simply piping them to the Cleanup-Mailbox function. The Mapping parameter should point to the previously created CSV file. If the Test switch is specified, than the script will only output the diagnostics messages without doing the modifications. I suggest to try it before production use.

$m | Cleanup-Mailbox -Mapping ./folders.csv -Test

That’s it, my mailbox has been cleaned up! It is recommended to remove the Full Access permission.

$m | Remove-MailboxPermission -User Admin -Accessright Fullaccess

You can download the cleanup script from here, and the previously mentioned sample mapping CSV file here.

Advertisements